StarrMatica’s K-2 Lesson on Addition launched this month!
Students join Kwan and Sunna as they construct with blocks to explore the concept of addition.
Throughout the lesson students learn:
- to add facts with sums up to 20 using pictures and objects
- that the same number can be represented in many different ways
- to add with a number line
- to identify fact families
- to use doubles as an addition strategy
- to make a ten using a ten frame and use that strategy to solve addition number sentences
- to create addition number sentences from word problems
A few lesson highlights include:
Make A Ten – Students arrange counters in a ten frame to use the make a ten strategy.
Construction Stories – Students create addition number sentences to match word problems.
Game: Addition Quick Draw – Students compete against a partner or the computer to solve addition number sentences and gather the most cards.
To access these resources, login and choose K-2 Lessons. Then choose Addition from the Math Menu.